Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Nothing bundt ease!

We've been working diligently on our new house.  Unpacking, organizing, hanging, wiring, painting, and so on.  We haven't had a chance to do any serious entertaining yet but we have had a few friends pop in to see our progress.

Saturday, my girlfriends stopped by to scope the new digs and for a little chat.  These girls are notorious for liking their sweets so I knew I had to whip something up to offer them.

Let me preface this by fully admitting, I am not a baker!  Baking is immensely different than cooking.  Most people make the false assumptions that chefs, especially female chefs, love to bake.  Most chefs suck at baking. Baking is like doing math.  It requires TONS of patience.  If you measure wrong, or open the oven at an inappropriate time, the whole thing is ruined and, usually, you have to start over.  When cooking,  if you mess something up, or it doesn't taste right, you add a little of this, a pinch of that and voila!

I decided on something light and summery: a lemon blueberry sour cream bundt cake.  First you'll need these:
I mixed up a box of lemon cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup or sour cream, and 2/3 cup blueberries.  I sprayed my bundt pan and poured it in....that was easy!
I baked the cake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  I let it cool for about 15 minutes on top of the stove.
Meanwhile, I whisked up 1 stick of room temperature butter, the zest and juice from one lemon, and 1/2 box of powdered sugar.  I flipped the cake out of the pan and onto a pretty platter.
I slathered the frosting/glaze on top of the still warm bundt and let it melt down the sides.  I sprinkled a few more fresh blueberries on top to finish the presentation.
The girls loved it! They both went back for a second piece.  Making people smile, feel good, and say yummy, are all part of the joys of cooking.  I served a piece to my mom in the morning with coffee.  Great then too!

This was so easy, that even I could whip it up between all the chaos.  In order to be a successful baker, make sure you have everything you need before you start, measure your ingredients, and be patient.  It's worth the delicious smell of baked goods that will waft through your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment from your Blog to Approve: